Monday, June 22, 2009

A day in the big city

Hello this is Ryan again...
Last Friday I went to Eastleigh with the rest of the team. It was quite an experience to visit the place where most of the students came from. The day began with a brief meeting at the MITS center where we planned out the day over a hot cup of chai. We split up in groups of about 4 or 5 and we all went out to visit the bases. The bases are where the street kids hang out. We sit and visit with them, pray, hand out bread sometimes, and give them a word of encouragement. It's important that they know that we are there to help them start a new life.
After spending some time with a group at a base called "Lilyput," I went with my friend Robin to visit his parents who lived next door. They welcomed me with open arms and gave me a maraca that his mother made. They are wonderful gracious people.
The rest of the day Robin and I set out on a mission to track down a belt sander for the wood shop class. 3 or 4 matatu rides later (and a good deal of walking) we arrived at the industrial district of Nairobi where all the hardware shops are located. Unfortunately we couldn't find the right belt sander and we came back empty handed. I did, however, get to experience a level of traffic I didn't know existed. It's hard to describe... I think of all matatu drivers as low level super heroes. It's something you'll just have to experience for yourself. I'm glad Robin was there... otherwise I'd probably still be out there somewhere.
-Ryan

No comments: