Friday, March 9, 2012

Darren aka Mureithis' thoughts on MITS

Kenyan Friends

A few days ago, I wrote a post, thanking all of my US friends for donating to purchase items for the ministries in Kenya I’ll be visiting next week. Today, I feel compelled to write about the individuals in Kenya who do the work in those ministries. These people are my brothers and sisters in Christ, and share my passion for teaching and reaching kids.

As I write about these friends, I want to make a few things perfectly clear:

They aren’t broke.
They don’t need my help.
It is my privilege to know them.

Every time I make the trip, I am reminded that much of Kenya is broken. There are so many systems in their society that have just broken down. We (Americans) are broken too, just different systems in different ways. Its all about perspective. I don’t, for one minute, think I am going to Africa to fix anyone. I don’t, because I’m in need of the same things. More on this later.

Let me introduce you to some of the awesome people I’ll spending the next ten days with:

Moses is my closest friend on the African continent. He manages the computer lab and teaches the computer skills classes. Think of Moses as the Kenyan version of my job here in Texas. Between the off-and-on Kenyan power grid and spotty and slow internet, he gives new meaning to having patience. He’s my brother from another mother.

Mbuvi is the administrator for Made in the Streets. He is a former street kid himself, who has dedicated himself to this ministry. His wife Maureen is the administrator for World Bible School for Kenya. They have two boys, Jonathanand Remy. What a wonderful family.

Jane is the supervisor at the Eastleigh center. The mzungus call her “Mama Jane” but Im not sure if anyone there does. They should. She is the Kenya version of Mother Teresa. She walks from base to base, visiting with people, young and old,who live among the piles of trash. She smiles at them and tells them about Jesus.She brings hope. You should see it.

John Wambu is the only person in Kenya who I’ll use a first and last name for. When you hear John Wambu, think “Chuck Norris.” Just kidding, kind of. John is the property manager at Made in the Streets and has worked with the Coulston’s from the very beginning of the ministry, back when “the land was full of hyena and python.” He gets things done, and even though he walks slowly, he’s hard to keep up with.

I am just now realizing that I won’t be able to write about everyone here. Take a few minutes and connect with others who mean a lot to me. Looking forward to seeing them next week!

Jackton, Joel, Phillip, Victor, Byron, Evans, Irene, Nzioka, Robin and others. I haven’t even started to talk about my student friends. There are so many.

One day a week, the MITS team takes a day off from their regular teaching schedules and walk the bases in Eastleigh. They actively seek those who have fallen through the cracks of society or have found themselves in a hole that they cannot escape from. They go looking, and then they listen, and then offer help. We’re told to seek the lost. They really do it.

As I mentioned before, it is my privilege to know them all. Every year, even though I take cases and cases of supplies and return with just a backpack, I always feel like I’ve been the one who leaves more blessed. They remind me what the church is and how we should be living.

I have begun to realize that I don’t think we should look at Africa as a place that needs to be “fixed.” We should remember that its a place with many good people. Its also a place full of lost souls, who we are called to go to and help. No different than Texas.

There will be a time when all wrongs will be made right. The broken things in Africa (and Texas) will be made new. Until then, all we can do is love each other, help each other, share the Good News and keep our eyes on Jesus. That’s pretty much it. And that’s my plan for next week.

I haven’t mentioned Steve Henn, my friend from Crosbyton Tx. We’re travelling together again this year. Steve made the trip with me in 2010. Steve is a farmer and has skills that are highly valuable in Kenya. He can grow things, fix things, teach and listen. He’s a great travel companion as well. We’ll keep you posted on our progress. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Tim Lewis said...

Great article Darren! Your perspective on Africa is right on. Looking forward to your next post. Thanks for loving street kids. Wish I was traveling with you.