Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Choices we Make!!

One thing we have always done in Made in the Streets is give the children a chance to mold a good life for themselves with the help of the teachers. Every Monday is always a joy for us to visit the streets and have an opportunity to evangelize and make a difference to someone's life. We visited the Lilliput base where I had not gone for almost a month, I was so touched the previous Monday when one of the guys from the base insisted that I should visit them. You don't get that in the streets, most of the time they always have this expression in their face like,"Please just say what you want and let us be!" Not everyone but some, so you can imagine the joy when the guys in the streets want you to visit them, it has that effect.
After Lilliput base, we went to the next base which was Mlango Kubwa (big gate). On the way there I met Mboito who used to be a student in MITS. He was so glad to see me and had a lot to tell me after a long time of not seeing each other. It was sad to see that he had a glue bottle tacked inside his jacket and years of drug use has left him looking untidy, confused and not coherent. Memories rushed to my head, remembering his best friend James Afanda. They both enrolled in our program, how he (Mboito) had progressed well and was well ahead of James. Unlike James who struggled a lot in learning how to read and write and also in his english speech.
But at that time I realized that the choices we make determine where we will be in the future, James chose to work hard and now he has a good family of two children, a job that takes care of his family, whereas, Mboito chose to give in to his old ways of using drugs. They both had the same opportunity, he only needed to stretch out and seize it.
After the visit from Mlango Kubwa, I shared that with Larry on our way back to the Eastleigh center and he told me, "choices makes oneself" life is all about choices.

Joel.

No comments: