Thursday, June 11, 2009

AFC at MITS

Jambo and Howdy! My name is Austin Carnes and I am part of a team from Texas A&M University (Aggies for Christ) that has spent the last 3 weeks here at the Made in the Streets Farm. Our time here is indescribable however I have been asked to put what I have experienced in words. Our mission trip began in Cairo, Egypt which was amazing, but I had no idea what to expect when our plane landed in Nairobi. I quickly learned that this place was very different from both Cairo, and College Station. We split up the first day to teach classes on English, Math, and computers. Thankfully we have English, education, and info majors. Since I am an Agriculture major I was sent to the fields to plant tomatoes and Kenyan spinach. My first thoughts were that I got the raw end of the deal, but soon realized what a joy it was to be out in God’s beautiful country farming with some amazing people. Since then the team has started the beginning phases of painting the inside of the new nursery and women’s home! I can not wait to see pictures of the finished product. We also spent time talking with the residents in Eastleigh. The team has done an amazing job at completing the tasks that were given to us but nothing has been so meaningful than getting to know the children here. I can see Christ in the eyes of both the students and staff, and I can hear him in their songs. Even when they sing in Swahili I can feel the Holy Spirit surrounding their praises. I came here with a purpose to share Christ with them, but I have received much more than what I brought. In a few days the team heads back to the states, but there is something different about each and every one of us. We will return to our families with a new meaning to our lives as Christ followers. I am so proud to be apart of this team of Aggies and so blessed to have heavenly relationships with my new Kenyan brothers and sisters. May the Lord bless and keep this place.
- Nita-mwimbia bwana, kwa kuwa yeye ameniona (I will sing to the lord because he sees me)

Austin

No comments: