Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Teaching at MITS

Did I know what it was going to be like to teach on a different continent? Of course not! When I landed here I didn't know where I was going to sleep, what I was going to eat, or even what MITS needed me to do. It was clear to me that I was going to be working in the math department but I didn't know anything else.
Even if I did know exactly what challenges I was going to face, how do you prepare (within a few months) to teach a subject like math to kids from the streets of Nairobi? Maybe if I had a teaching degree, some experience in rehabilitation, and I was fluent in Swahili, this would only be difficult and not impossible.
Fortunately what's impossible for man is possible with God. God has helped me overcome the challenges I'm faced with everyday. I've enjoyed working with all of the kids and I'm constantly amazed by their abilities and the hope they have for the future.
We make so many excuses for our failure, for our behavior and the unhappiness in our lives. There are no excuses... God can do anything. If you want proof, swing by Made in the Streets.
-Ryan

1 comment:

Hawkeye fan said...

Ryan, it will be interesting to read your thoughts as you serve during your internship. I predict Mits is going to grow on you like no other experience you have ever had. You are in for a great, fulfilling eleven weeks. (Just be careful of what you eat and drink!!)