Monday, June 8, 2009

The arrival of Ryan the intern... the temp.


Hello everyone,
My name is Ryan Matthews. I am working with MITS for 11 weeks this summer. Today I begin my 3rd week teaching mathematics. 3 weeks and 1 day ago I didn't know for sure if I was going to make it.
My piece of advice to all international missionary prospects:
Be flexible and patient because travel will seldom be easy. For example...
I traveled from El Paso Intl. to Nairobi, Kenya. 5 minutes after I walked into El Paso Intl I was lost. I thought for sure I was flying American Airlines, then I tried Southwest, then every other airline that flew to El Paso, basically all I knew was my name. It's a good idea to read and re-read your itinerary... do it 4 or 5 times.
I had a layover of about 2 hours in Arizona before my flight to Washington Dulles. Long story short, two hours turned into 24 hours and Washington Dulles turned into Washington Natl.
I landed at Washington Natl 2 hours before my flight to London. I took a taxi to Washington Dulles and gave the driver every penny I had which left him with a handsome tip of about 23 cents. (if you're reading this Mr. Meklzekanze I'm really really sorry) After changing airlines and checking my bag, I made it with less than 60 seconds left (no exaggeration). The rest of the trip went fairly smooth, 4 cups of coffee and I was in Nairobi.
I almost gave up. I thought the airlines would charge me for a new ticket and I already accepted the possibility of returning home and working to pay back all of my sponsors.
After spending one day here I knew I would've regretted missing out on such an adventure for the rest of my life.
-Ryan

No comments: